Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Just suppose....

It’s a good job we can’t read each other’s minds. The consequences of such total openness would be pretty mortifying.
 
Just imagine if other people knew who I despised or what crime I was about to commit or who I had a massive crush on or how often I was drunk-driving. All those things I was carefully hiding were suddenly on full display, out there for the world to see.
 
And vice versa of course, I could read other people’s minds and know all the dodgy things they were up to. I would know my next-door neighbour was defrauding the company he worked for or had just done a hit-and-run.
 
It would make life better in some ways. If someone was planning a crime, we’d know about it and they could be stopped. Our loved ones would know how much love and affection we had for them. People would know all the things I had in common with them and we could make new friends.
 
People couldn’t lie so easily as we would know straightaway they weren’t telling the truth, and there would be a sudden outbreak of honesty. That’s something that would take a lot of getting used to.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, the places your mind goes! The bad in this would far outweigh any good. We all have fleeting moments of thought that is just that, fleeting. Not really meant but felt just at that moment. I personally would rather stay in the dark about what others are thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra: Yes, as I said I'm a confirmed oddball! Admittedly, I'd know about a lot of things I'd rather not have known about!

      Delete
  2. Nope. Don't want to go there. As a thinker or a listener.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Once you've discovered the ghastly things some people think about, you can't undiscover it!

      Delete
  3. Thank god we have a private space for our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam: There are good reasons why we'd rather some of our thoughts were hidden from other people.

      Delete
  4. Our minds are the only private spaces left - though the powers that be are probably working to change that!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: I'm very glad I can keep my more peculiar thoughts to myself!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes thoughts just form and we sit here talking to ourselves in our heads. It would be terrible if others could hear all the weird things we say to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: I know what you mean about the weird things we talk to ourselves about. I would rather they were kept hidden as well.

      Delete
  6. Nick as intriguing as this may seem, I would rather not have such openness. However, it would be nice to know if people were lying and an outbreak of honesty could be overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice: It would certainly be nice to know if people were lying. A lot of politicians would be unexpectedly caught out!

      Delete