Sunday, 26 July 2026

Do I remember?

How come some people have phenomenal memories while others (like me) have terrible memories?
 
Jenny has a remarkable memory and can remember things in enormous detail, even things that happened years and years ago. She can remember the exact words that someone used and even what clothes they were wearing.
 
I on the other hand can forget stuff rapidly, and Jenny often reminds me of things we’ve done and said and people we’ve met, things that have long vanished from my memory.
 
I would be hard put to remember a conversation I had with someone a week ago, while Jenny could recall it easily.
 
It’s all very embarrassing. Rather than admit my hopeless memory, it’s tempting to pretend I remember what someone is referring to, when actually I have no idea what they’re talking about.
 
Apart from anything else, being able to remember things in minute detail must greatly enhance your daily life, while huge lapses in memory mean I’m always in a kind of fog that limits my enjoyment.
 
I can at least remember the really big events in my life, which haven’t yet faded away. So all is not lost.

14 comments:

  1. I don't remember like how you say Jenny remembers, then again I once had a guy stand up from his chair in amazement at how I keep remembering.

    "Reviews it or lose it" says I. I remember stuff because I spend a lot of time alone, also walking, bussing and driving, and I think over old stuff, stuff that I have filed away as being representative of something or someone. In other words, I say "I want to remember this."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean: I wish I could do that, but however much I want to remember something, usually I don't. What I remember or forget is entirely random.

      Delete
  2. That's an interesting question. I can remember back when I was around 3 years old and taking a baby bottle and sticking it through the bars on my little baby brother crib and feeding him his bottle. I have a really good memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: I assumed from the amazing number of books you read that you must have an excellent memory to retain all the details of plot, characters etc. and do lengthy book reviews.

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of memories but, it turns out, not all of them are true. Apparently, my mind rewrites memories. My Dave is like you--he remembers very little. But, he is good at timelines and I can't remember if something happened a few days ago or a few weeks ago.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Same here, some of my apparent memories turn out to be quite untrue. Now I just assume from the start that my memories aren't reliable.

      Delete
  4. I'm good at remembering what people wore! I remember clothes. Not so much what people say - though I remember the gist.
    Sometimes a memory will pop into my head - I just need a casual reminder.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: I never really notice people's clothes unless they're very striking in some way. Jenny always notices clothes.

      Delete
  5. Nick, you are not alone in memory lapses as I cannot remember many details of my childhood but my brother can and he is 3 years younger than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice: It's odd how two people can have totally different memory skills, from photographic memory to perpetual vagueness.

      Delete
  6. I had a good memory but a brain injury in 2011 wiped out blocks of memory. I found out it's even worse than I thought and I thought it was bad. I reconnected with an old friend. I did not remember her 2nd son nor that I babysat her children on a fairly regular basis or that I took care of the two boys, one I don't remember when she had son #3, who I do remember. Nothing. Zip. Mark had told me I was always going to her rescue for one thing or another and I said that I had not because I remember none of it. Now I have some trouble coming up with a name but I eventually get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra: Yes, that sounds bad, as you say big blocks of memory wiped out. But otherwise you seem be carrying on your day to day activities quite normally. I think it's baffling to other people with a normal memory, they don't understand how you can totally forget things, they think you're just not "trying hard enough" to remember.

      Delete
  7. As a boy I read "With Helmet and Hose" where a chap used a diving helmet. This was before aqualungs and waterproof cameras. So what he did was look at what he wanted to. remember, turn his head, and then see if he still recalled. He would repeat until he got it. I know I have tried that trick up here on dry land, yet I can't remember any examples off hand, so maybe it doesn't work well. But it's sure fun when I try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean: An interesting way of doing things! I sometimes try repeating something over and over in order to memorise it; sometimes it works but usually it doesn't.

      Delete