I’m a confirmed oddball. Most of my opinions are way outside
the mainstream. Which can make life uncomfortable and make it hard to connect
with other people. They want to pin me down but they aren’t able to.
So there’s always this lingering feeling that if I could
just be “normal” life would be a lot easier. I’d have more in common with other
people and I’d have a much smoother ride.
Utter nonsense of course. Firstly, what the hell is
“normal”? According to who? By what definition? I’m chasing after something as
slippery as an eel.
Secondly, who says being “normal” is any easier than being
an oddball? We all have our fair share of disasters and tragedies whatever our
personality. If I imagine some blissful scenario where I just sail effortlessly
through life, I’m sure I would be sadly disappointed.
But I suppose we all imagine some ideal world where our personal
failings and quirks are magically discarded and suddenly life is a bowl of
cherries.
It ain’t going to happen.
Monday, 6 July 2026
If only
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


We're all oddballs, Nick.
ReplyDeleteAs you conclude, what's the point in worrying about it?!
Sx
Ms Scarlet: I guess I only worry about it when I'm in some difficult situation, and I can't help thinking, what if I were more "normal"?
DeleteSandra: I suppose I'm a natural softer person, and yes, I try to ignore people with opinions I heartily dislike. But then again, how do I ignore the buffoon in the White House?
ReplyDeleteAs Henry David Thoreau said, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."
ReplyDeleteRick: I'm sure that's true. Life can be pretty desperate.
DeleteYou don't, nick. Because he is important to all of us, not on a personal level but because everything he does harms someone somewhere. Which means we are all harmed.
ReplyDeleteI'm not normal and don't think the same as most 'normal' people do either. Who is in charge of what 'normal' is though? lol If everyone were the same, that would be boring.
ReplyDeleteMary: No, you're not normal but you're a very interesting person. True, if everyone was the same life would be dull indeed.
DeleteThank you, Nick. I appreciate that.
DeleteSandra: The harm he's doing is off the scale. And he has absolutely no awareness of doing harm.
ReplyDeleteI'm one who always went my own way which at times can be difficult. Not sure what is normal but if it's following the crowd it's not for me.
ReplyDeletePaula: I also shudder at the thought of following the crowd.
DeleteIt's an interesting subject, Nick, because I wonder what exactly is defined as normal and who gets to decide that?
ReplyDeleteBeatrice: Indeed, at the end of the day "normal" is a very subjective concept, each one of us has our own definition.
DeleteI live in a very social environment yet I rarely step outside our door. I'm greeted cheerfully when I do go out but I just don't. I guess I'm not normal.
ReplyDeleteLinda
Linda: We have lots of neighbours but like you we don't talk to them much. We've been in this house for 17 years but most of the neighbours are still a mystery!
DeleteIf I was totally normal, as in totally agreeing with my society on everything, then I would think that is too big of a coincidence.
ReplyDeleteFor my part, people don't mind me being smart if I'm not arrogant, and they don't mind me being different if I am careful to make even the stupidest feel safe that I am
not criticizing them.
I
Sean: Yes, one thing people really dislike is arrogance and snobbery.
DeleteAs I was saying, I try to have not agreement but an awareness of what others believe, but it sure ain't easy. I skim the pop culture stuff and advice columns, but I still don't get other people. One thing I am still learning is how afraid they are of being different.
ReplyDeleteSean: That's true, we're all very afraid of being different. We don't want to stick out too much.
DeleteMost people think someone is 'normal' if the person is like them.
ReplyDeleteBijoux: I hadn't thought of that. Very true.
DeleteI have no idea what "normal" is. I know people think I'm eccentric but I dont understand that, either.
ReplyDeleteIn the end, I just have to be happy with who i am because I cant really change
Kylie: I wouldn't call you eccentric. Just different and thoughtful. Indeed, it's hard to change once we've formed our adult personality.
Delete