Northern Ireland only has a few small uncontroversial data
centres, but in other parts of Britain there are giant data centres that are
attracting strong opposition.
The complaints are getting more frequent and more critical –
of constant noise, rising utility bills, massive consumption of electricity and
water, and air pollution.
But few people are joining the dots here. It seems to have
escaped most people’s attention that everything we do on the internet uses data
centres, so we actually need more and more of them, and if local resistance
makes building them difficult or even impossible we have a major problem.
Most of us use smart phones. Most of us use a variety of
online services. Most of us use the internet heavily. What would happen if construction
of data centres couldn’t keep up with demand?
It would be impossible to limit people’s use of the internet,
as we’re now so highly dependent on it.
But I haven’t seen any journalist considering what would
happen if the supply of data centres was lagging behind the volume of internet
use. It’s assumed that data centres will keep multiplying and multiplying as
needed. Which is a big assumption.
PS: New York has banned construction of data centres using 50 megawatts or more for one year
Pic: A data centre in the Netherlands


I need my data! Not really, but life would be very different without it.
ReplyDeleteLinda
Linda: I can't imagine having to go back to pre-internet days. I rely on the internet for so many different things.
DeleteI guess the trick is to have a giant data centre that does not raise local electricity rates, unfairly use local water or bother locals with a loud humming noise. I have not heard of such a place in America, but then again a happy data centre would not be newsworthy.
ReplyDeleteIn the UK, I just hope some government department is keeping track of good and bad and whether a good one is realistic.
Sean: I haven't heard of such a place either. I have no idea if there's a UK government department keeping track of data centres and their downsides. Politicians rarely mention data centres and they don't seem very aware of the issues they raise.
DeleteNew proposed data centres are about AI, Nick - and all that sort of slop. We have one proposed here that is bigger than a large town.
ReplyDeletePlease read what Erin Brockovich has to say about them:- HERE
Sx
Ms Scarlet: Yes, I've read about Erin Brockovich and her opposition to data centres. But data centres aren't just for AI, they're for everything we do on the internet.
DeleteBut they have had to get bigger because of the demands of AI.
DeleteIf you're for swathes of Devon farmland [850 acres] being consumed by a data campus, then good for you. These places consume a lot of water as well, despite the data consortium claiming they will use a 'closed loop system' - quite frankly there won't be enough water to go round! SW Water can't cope with water demand as it is due to them making huge profits but not putting any money back into infrastructure.
Honestly, I give up. Data Centres are proposed for tech giants, and people like Elon Musk - they are the real beneficiaries.
Sx
P.S 850 acres is the equivalent of 600 football pitches. There is also another 96 acres earmarked for a battery storage facility - actually we do need more battery storage in the country.
DeleteSx
Ms Scarlet: Fair enough, I accept the huge ones are catering for AI. Are you anywhere near the Devon one?
DeleteMiss Scarlet is correct. These new enormous data centers are all about AI. The monetary and environmental cost is very high.
ReplyDeleteSandra: Indeed, they consume extraordinary amounts of water and electricity. Plus they make a constant humming noise which drives the locals crazy.
DeleteI am not in favor of AI. People need to use their own intelligence.
ReplyDeleteLinda
Linda: I agree. We need to boost our intelligence, not undermine it.
DeleteAs of two days ago, New York State has announced a one year moratorium on building any more data centres, to allow time to evaluate whether they are a good idea. I suspect other states will follow suit. Hurray!
ReplyDeleteSean: Yes, I added a post script to point out the New York decision. As you say, other states will no doubt follow.
DeleteAll of these new data centers are being built because of AI. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they weren't using up water in drought cities like Las Vegas right now. We have drought conditions, Lake Mead is the lowest it's ever been and we have to conserve water. To have a data center here in these conditions is crazy. Other people are experiencing low water pressure, sediment in their water, loud noise from the data centers, ect.
ReplyDeleteMary: As you say, to build water-guzzling data centres in an existing drought area is madness. Opposition is growing against these monstrous data centres.
DeleteI'm against AI and against the data centres running it, especially because the AI creations i see are just novelty artworks and circular, formulaic writing
ReplyDeleteKylie: I don't see how AI can produce anything original when basically all it's doing is scraping existing material.
Delete