Sunday 6 October 2024

Waited on

I sometimes fantasise about being so rich I can have everything done for me while I laze around doing nothing. I would be waited on hand and foot and not have to move a muscle.

But would I really enjoy that? Actually I think I'd hate it. I like doing things for myself and organising my own life. I wouldn't want other people butting in and doing things for me.

Apart from anything else they'd probably never do anything exactly the way I wanted it done and I'd have to keep putting them right. Or they'd be hanging around when I wanted a bit of privacy. Or I wouldn't get on with them and there'd be constant friction and annoyance.

How do the Royals put up with all the flunkeys attending to their every need? I suppose they've been waited on for so long they're totally used to it and would be horrified at having to do everything themselves.

I suppose being waited on is generally seen as a sign of luxury, but I'd rather have the luxury of doing things for myself the way I want to do them. Why be constantly beholden to other people for the most basic everyday actions?

For a while in London we took on a cleaner because we were both working full time and found it hard to fit in the housework. I was never comfortable about it though, I always felt we should somehow be managing to do the cleaning ourselves.

But I wouldn't mind a chauffeur to take over the hassle of driving.

2 comments:

  1. Not even most rich people hire servants to do everything for them. They hire them for the boring stuff about which nobody really cares how it's done so long as the results are OK. Driving is one example -- cleaning and vacuuming is another. You've need someone who's trustworthy and doesn't move your stuff around, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, not for us. We never had waiters .To imagine that employees must clean our home isn't in our way of life . We saw in Africa how some families treated their waiters just a shame. The only thing we are not doing anymore is cleaning the windows , very high . We cannot climb , a bit too dangerous , so we have a good young friend who offered us to do it and of course he is paid and in general I prepare a nice meal and we eat and chst together.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete