Thursday 27 April 2023

Over emotional

One of the things that makes modern life difficult is that so many people no longer simply express their emotions, they have to act them out in as many ways as possible. They have to "perform" their emotions.

They don't just get angry, they shout, they're abusive, they throw things, they issue threats, they attack people. They aren't just happy, they jump up and down with excitement, they tell everyone how ecstatic they are, they expect everyone to gush and enthuse.

This is what I would call over-emotional. Meaning not that you express too many emotions, or that you have an emotional reaction to just about everything, but that you act out your emotions instead of keeping them to yourself.

It must be terribly exhausting for those concerned. Isn't it enough to say you're angry and what you're angry about? Why go to such lengths to "prove" your emotions?

And yes, you've guessed it, I tend not to go that far. I usually express my emotions quite simply, without any fireworks - which rather disconcerts those who are more emotionally effusive.

So I'm rather bemused when someone on the telly is waxing euphoric about the meal they've just cooked, or the valuable antique they found in a junk shop, or their newly updated bathroom. You'd think they'd just won a fortune in the lottery (now that might well merit waxing euphoric).

People who make a meal of their emotions used to be unusual. They used to be dismissed as drama queens. Nowadays drama queens are two a penny and it's the emotionally reserved who're the oddballs.

32 comments:

  1. I think it's 'show, don't tell' gone to an extreme, and it is exhausting. I can't quite figure out all the over excitement - and I'm sure that once upon a time I was a drama queen! Not anymore.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: Now I'm getting your comments on my post but not on email. Blogger is playing silly buggers. I can't quite imagine you as a drama queen. That must have been spectacular!

      Delete
  2. I wonder if my comment is going to get lost again - oh the excitement waiting to find out!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: The excitement! The thrills! What's going to happen next???

      Delete
    2. I have heard reports from others that Blogger isn't sending post authors email notifications. My advice to get round it would be to leave a comment on your own post and tick the 'Notify me' box - though then you might get them twice! But think of the excitement!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. Ms Scarlet: I must try that out.

      Delete
  3. The drama queen thing is getting old, isn’t it? I call it bad acting, even though they aren’t acting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: You can't move these days without tripping over a drama queen.

      Delete
  4. This is a test comment to see if the comment appears in my email inbox or whether email notifications have been scrapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently not. The comment has come through on email.

      Delete
    2. But no other comments are coming through on email, only my own.

      Delete
    3. Do you have a different Blogger profile? If so tick Notify me with that one - though you'll have to keep that email address open.
      Wow, I don't know how Blogger have managed this! Maybe something in settings needs changing?
      Sx

      Delete
  5. But back to the exciting subject of drama queens and over-emotional spillage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who is excitable and exuberant but she never seems to have negative emotions. I wonder how she does that?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: How interesting. Perhaps she keeps the negative emotions to herself and only displays the positive ones because she thinks they're more acceptable?

      Delete
  7. thecontemplativecat here. Those drama queens/kings are so maniacal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. contemplativecat: They do get absurdly carried away, don't they?

      Delete
  8. I just wish they could tell me clearly and succinctly what they want or think...if they do think, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: They're too wrapped up in their emotions to think clearly.

      Delete
  9. I seldom get angry, but hurray for exuberance and joy. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheerful Monk

      Delete
    2. Jean: Everyone deserves some exuberance and joy.

      Delete
  10. I also wonder if it has something to do with culture. I remember going to my in-laws in Ohio and it was so quiet, hardly anyone talked or laughed. But with my French or Armenian families, it was hard to hear yourself think when we had parties. But then I also went to some parties while in college in England and they were quite noisy (but could have been because of the beer…!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vagabonde: I vividly remember many years ago spending a weekend with a Jewish family. It was non-stop talking, arguing and emoting. I was quite stunned given that my own family tended to be very guarded.

      Delete
    2. Nick ,my Jewish family is exactly like that and my Palestinian husbands family is talking day and night. I love emotional people , in Africa discussing and arguing under a Baobab tree is wonderful. Showing emotions is also showing a bit of yourself.
      Hannah

      Delete
    3. Hannah: Jenny is very emotional and she expresses her emotions vigorously. She's a good counter-balance to my more reticent self.

      Delete
    4. So a perfect match to have a happy life together.
      Hannah

      Delete
    5. Hannah: Yes indeed! We've rubbed along very nicely for many years.

      Delete
  11. My family tends to be expressive, our joys, our disappointments, our worries, our grief. To each his own I guess. And reticent isn't in our dictionaries.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: Not sure if my reticence is nature or nurture, but certainly my parents didn't express much emotion so I guess that influenced my own behaviour.

      Delete
  12. I don't think I'm overly emotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: No, I'd got that impression. You seem to be a very level-headed person.

      Delete