Sunday 23 April 2023

Dodgy adults

People tell their children to behave like an adult - or behave like a grown-up. Either way that leaves plenty of scope as the behaviour of most adults is far from exemplary. The reality is that adults:

  • Lie
  • Make things up
  • Commit crimes
  • Drink too much
  • Eat too much
  • Smoke
  • Drive dangerously
  • Sell addictive drugs
  • Start wars
  • Cheat on their spouses
If anything, children should be telling adults to behave more like children. Because most of those adult tendencies/ nasty habits are absent in children, who still boast healthy and harmless lifestyles. They may lie or make things up, but that's about it.

Adults are in fact a thoroughly bad influence on children, and nothing like as superior as they would like to think. Unfortunately there are adults everywhere you look and children are easily swayed by them.

The average adult, if promoted as a role model for children, would probably be horrified. They would say, for goodness sake don't copy me with all my neuroses and all my failings. Find somebody more worthy of inspiring you.

So the immediate question when told to behave like an adult would have to be - which adult? Do I behave like Uncle Charlie, who drinks like a fish, flirts outrageously and drives like a maniac? Or do I behave like Aunt Delia, who's sensible and considerate and kind?

When I was young, I was indeed inspired by a lot of adults. Not because they were adults but because they had qualities that I admired and wanted for myself. I was especially influenced by an English teacher who made mastering English a whole lot of fun. Yes, he was an adult but that was irrelevant.

24 comments:

  1. This made me laugh. Yes, yes, yes, adults ARE a bad influence on children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: Aren't they just? I'm fortunate that my parents had no really appalling tendencies to pass on to me.

      Delete
  2. Interesting take, Nick. There are actually Bible verses about it being better to have a child’s perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: Yes, it's often said that children have a more objective view of the horrors that adults are perpetrating.

      Delete
  3. My comment has gone! I was first! I shall stamp my feet and howl like the sensible adult that I am.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: You were indeed the first. Blogger keeps not posting comments but I get them on email. Your comment was: "Adults are twats. True." Well, that sums up my post very neatly.

      Delete
  4. My favorite mentor was my 5th grade teacher, Miss Reader. She read aloud to the class on a regular schedule. One time, I got caught not listening; I was reading my own book under my desk. When I said I'd already read the book she was reading, she sent me out to sit in the hall. And let me take my book with me.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: That was very enlightened of her. And how appropriate her last name!

      Delete
  5. I recall being a rather headstrong child, which pleased my father no end, and led him to reaching my three year old self to properly tie my shoes when he found me tying them in a string of overhand knots, saying "Damn shoe won't tie; damn shoe won't tie!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: I had a lot of trouble learning to polish my shoes. I kept on applying far too much polish and my father got quite exasperated.

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately it's not acceptable to tell an immature adult to grow up and even if we could tell them, they probably wouldn't understand what to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie: I agree. Telling an immature adult to change their ways doesn't usually get very far!

      Delete
  7. I have to agree with you on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thecontemplativecat here. Looking at my adult influences, there is such a variety of good and bad. I have navigated to the good side, but memories of the bad still hang in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. contemplativecat: My memories of adult influences are also good and bad. I have generally disappointing memories of my parents.

      Delete
  9. I totally agree with you on this. So many adults are psychopaths in disguise and have failings we don't see. I believe in encouraging a child to just be themselves. Role models often have clay feet. And I do agree on inspiring teachers. I had an English teacher also who inspired me.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: Hi, long time no see! Indeed, adults have all sorts of hidden vices under a carefully constructed public persona.

      Delete
  10. I had few role models at home when I was a child , certainly not my parents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John: My parents were never role models either, except in their "clean living" tendency - they hardly ever consumed alcohol, my mother never smoked and recreational drugs were still in the future.

      Delete
  11. Just as well I didn't adopt father's passion for five horse accumulators but did follow to his love of music and history, so I suppose kids should be taught to discriminate at an early age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: Yes, teaching kids to discriminate (and have a critical faculty) is an important lesson.

      Delete
  12. Not all advice given is the best as we well know, Nick. Telling children to behave like an adult would spoil the joy of being a child in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice: I agree. Probably the last thing children should do is behave like an adult!

      Delete