Monday 12 December 2022

Safer streets?

I'm glad to see that the British government is to outlaw sexual harassment in the street in England and Wales. A long-overdue law is about to be passed, after years of lobbying by cam-paigners.

The law aims to criminalise behaviour such as following someone walking home at night, making obscene or aggressive comments to them, obstructing their path or driving slowly near them in public spaces.

It's certainly about time such widespread harassment (directed at women day in and day out) was stopped so women can walk the streets without being subject to such unwanted behaviour.

I wonder though whether the new law will actually achieve its objective of preventing harassment. It's possible many men will simply ignore the law, assuming either that women won't take any action, or that they can deny any wrongdoing, or that it will be difficult to prove specific acts of harassment. It would be one person's word against another's, as is often the case with rape.

If the woman is harassed by a complete stranger, he can make himself scarce and the woman can do nothing as she can't identify the man in question.

That said, the new law may work like the anti-smoking laws, and there will be a gradual cultural shift in which street harassment becomes as unacceptable and unthinkable as having a fag in a no-smoking area.

I shall be watching the operation of the new law with great interest. But I don't have much confidence that it will stop male pestering.

20 comments:

  1. It does seem very difficult to enforce, especially since the prohibited behavior leaves no physical evidence that it happened. The police can't be everywhere. But one can hope the law will deter a few miscreants, and perhaps embolden witnesses to speak up and tell harassers off when they see something happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infidel: As you say, if there's no physical evidence, harassment would be hard to prove. And yes, more witnesses need to intervene to stop it happening.

      Delete
  2. I would have thought those activities were already illegal, but as you said, if it’s a stranger, how will this be enforced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: There is an existing anti-harassment law, and in addition sexual harassment is illegal under the Equality Act 2010, so I'm not sure what the new law will add to it. Somebody needs to explain.

      Delete
  3. My first thought was..."and, who is going to enforce this law?" I wish it well and at least it is "on the books", so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace Thyme: There's no point in passing new laws if they aren't enforced (or enforceable), yet politicians never give much thought to the enforcement angle.

      Delete
  4. Every change begins with a first step.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: The first step should have been taken a long time ago! Any civilised society would have wiped out sexual harassment by now.

      Delete
  5. Perhaps the boys/men will understand the reason, or grasp it could be their sisters of mothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: Yes, why do men continue with their harassment, surely knowing that their own friends and family members are being harassed?

      Delete
  6. I will be filming everything on my mobile phone! I always keep my camera handy because I like taking pictures, but you never know when you might need some video evidence.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: Good for you. What's often lacking in these situations is some hard evidence of harassment, as opposed to a verbal allegation.

      Delete
  7. Phones and a video grab can make a difference and CTV everywhere. I can't count the number of times I was harassed. Once by 2 cops in a patrol car who stopped my car and I won't go into the rest of it.
    It was horrible. I came home to my now ex and my 2 young children and was in pieces. He asked me what did I do to provoke them which was typical of ALL males at the time. Being the woman's fault entirely, just for driving her car safely on a busy Toronto street.
    Something akin to driving while black. Never safe.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: I know most women have had numerous similar experiences. And I'm sure there are still men out there who blame the woman for somehow "asking for it".

      Delete
  8. You will not change the behavior of adults , so I think all starts with educating the young boys and girls. I had some harassement experiences as a student and young woman , but I always answered and even was once in front of a guy who apologized when I asked him.if he was sexually so frustrated to agress women.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah: Yes, it all starts with the way boys are brought up and taught to be "masculine", which means routinely harassing women. The whole toxic masculine culture needs to be wiped out, and that means the cooperation of everyone involved in boys' upbringing - parents, friends, teachers, the media and all the rest.

      Delete
  9. Mary's comment didn't appear on my post. She says "Yes, it would be nice if laws like this were passed everywhere. I carry a tazer with me just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary: Carrying a tazer seems like a good idea in your particular neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be hard to enforce but it can't be enforced at all if it is not enshrined in law.
    This is the step which formally recognises the behaviour as wrong. After that step is taken, the only way is up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie: True, making something illegal is the first necessary step, but so often law-breakers just aren't brought to book and get away with it.

      Delete