Sunday 26 December 2021

Begone, Mr Grumpy


I don't want to become one of those miserable old geezers who're convinced the world is going to pot, nobody does their job properly any more, there are fraudsters everywhere you look, young people have no respect for their elders, motorists drive like maniacs, and good taste is a thing of the past. I want to see the world through a positive lens rather than finding fault with everyone and everything.

If you don't watch yourself, it's easy to slip into habitual pessimism, especially when the media love to focus on disasters and cock-ups rather than most people's uneventful daily lives. Or if you have such a rose-tinted view of the past that today's world seems like a steady decline from once-impeccable standards.

So hopefully I'm still abiding by my pledges against grumpiness (originally drawn up in 2012):

  • I won't moan and groan
  • I won't become a grumpy old man
  • I won't let the world's problems get me down
  • I won't make mountains out of molehills
  • I won't let petty irritations annoy me
  • I won't complain about my bodily deficiencies
  • I won't denigrate other people's lives
  • I won't tell other people what to do*
  • I won't rant and rave
  • I won't demonise young people
  • I won't be cynical
  • I won't be paranoid
  • I won't see the worst in people
  • I won't be nostalgic
  • I won't believe everything was better in the old days
  • I won't think that I know best
  • I won't think life's conspiring against me
  • I won't be offended by bad manners
  • I won't be offended
  • I won't over-react
Of course Jenny might say I'm not as sanguine as I make out, that there's a grumpy old man lurking just under the breezy exterior. Well, if Mr Grumpy does make an appearance, I'm sure she'll silence him pretty promptly.

*except politicians and bankers, obviously

23 comments:

  1. Eh, I'm a little grumpy. Always have been though, but I try not to be a jerk to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: The odd bit of grumpiness is excusable. Habitual grumpiness less so.

      Delete
  2. As a child, I only got attention when I was sick. It took me years to realize I didn't have to share physical challenges with people to get attention. I actually feel healthier now as a result of that change in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: I have a few physical challenges but why bore other people with them? There are more interesting subjects than my dodgy knee or tired eyes.

      Delete
  3. Erm....
    Meanwhile, I hope you're having a very Merry Christmas!!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: Indeed we are. "Love Actually" on the telly, Franzen's new book, plenty of wine, Christmas cake, mince pies, Lindt truffles. Nothing whatever to be grumpy about! (I shall ignore the weather)

      Delete
    2. Love actually is rabidly anti-feminist!!

      Delete
    3. Kylie: I know! There was a blistering diatribe in the Independent, attacking the film's inherent sexism. But I guess it's of its time as they say, you just have to enjoy the film while being aware of the political incorrectness.

      Delete
  4. I have never been grumpy and I hope that I never become one. Thumbsup to the entire list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well good luck with that huge list. I reserve my grumpiness for myself as sometimes the days can be challenging and I need to blast it at something.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: When my days are challenging I don't rant and rave, I pour a glass of wine and settle down with a good book. Maybe I'm just not emotional enough?

      Delete
  6. No grumpiness here...I know too much history. Life will never be perfect and we've been incredibly lucky to have been born when we were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean: Very true that you and me were lucky to be born when we were and to have had all sorts of benefits that are now denied to youngsters.

      Delete
    2. It's so easy to be spoiled and complain. If I believe anything it's "The quality of our lives depends on how we focus our energy and our attention." That's the one thing we have some control over.

      Delete
    3. Jean: I agree with your maxim. Life can be boring and tedious or exciting and rewarding, depending greatly on how you deal with it.

      Delete
  7. what a great list! and even to aspire and achieve Some of it would be/is admirable. and Hey! another Love Actually lover! what a great movie! here's to a wonderful new year. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy: Hopefully I achieve quite a lot of them if not all. Hard not to be offended by bad manners. It niggles when people are inexplicably rude or brusque or unhelpful.

      Delete
  8. I suspect some of my blogmates enjoy the odd outburst of grumpiness, but don't want to say so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quite the list, Nick, and I have to admit that some may also apply to myself. That said, I will always be offended by bad manners or attitudes. Sending all best wishes to you and Jenny for a hopefully better and Happy New Year...with less grumpiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice: People with bad manners annoy me, but that's fairly trivial beside people who're actually dangerous - like reckless drivers or anti-vaxxers. A Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  10. I get grumpy about heaps of stuff but hopefully I keep it in proportion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie: There are certainly plenty of things to get grumpy about. But as long as you keep them in proportion....

      Delete