Thursday 1 August 2024

Hard work and how

Jenny and I agree that as we get older we have a much greater appreciation of other people's achievements, of the hard work and determination that made those achievements possible.

When I was young I would be aware that a top novelist or lawyer or sportsperson or art restorer had done something special, but I wouldn't be aware of the full extent of what lay behind it and what it took to achieve it.

I never realised what the top novelist had to go through to produce the novel that I casually summed up as impressive or exciting. I imagined that they just sat down, scribbled away for a few weeks, and hey presto a brilliant novel.

I never thought about how hard it was to come up with an unusual and convincing plot, or vivid characters, or a dramatic ending. Or how hard it was to write fluent, smooth-flowing prose for hundreds of pages. Or how hard it was to keep at it day after day without being distracted. Or how hard it was to get your first novel published after dozens of rejections.

The sheer persistence and self-confidence required is easily underestimated. So many people say they're going to write a novel, but they never do.

The same applies to anyone who's done something spectacular or sensational. More and more I appreciate the hinterland of sheer hard work and application and single-mindedness that made that thing possible.

I was thinking all this I watched some of the astonishing Olympics coverage, and I was very conscious of the years and years of training and tenacity that underlie those stunning feats. Utterly mind-boggling.

23 comments:

  1. You need to be single minded and persistent....I cannot imagine ever being able to have the dedication to reach the heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: Me neither. I tried writing a novel once but I just didn't have what it took.

      Delete
  2. I had a neighbor whose daughters were figure skaters, like serious 5-6 days a week on the ice with coaches. The youngest came close to making it nationally in pairs. They had no life outside of the ice arena. They went to private school so they could be excused early to get to practice. There is a price that is paid for that diligence and dedication. In their case it also was joint problems. I guess this is what I think of when I watch these events. An aside, they did eventually get on with life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra: Indeed. The public acclaim may be gratifying, but as you say it may end in serious bodily injuries. And in some cases mental health issues.

      Delete
  3. I think as I have aged I too have a much greater appreciation of other people's achievements, of the hard work and determination that made those achievements possible. Especially that of my father. Losing a parent at 5 years old, a throw away at 13, drafted & 21 months in Korea. He managed to become a successful entrepreneur. As a kid I thought it was lucky, easier back then like all young people believe since they were not part off the harder times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula: Becoming a successful entrepreneur depends on a lot of hard work and persistence, especially if you started with nothing but a few dollars and a humble background.

      Delete
    2. For my brother-in-law, becoming a successful entrepreneur was mostly a case of persuading other people to invest in him. He started one company after another as each, in turn, failed yet he was still able to get investors.
      Linda

      Delete
    3. Oops. Didn't mean to publish that yet. I consider him successful because he was able to get other people to support him for most of his life.
      Linda

      Delete
    4. Linda: That's a whole new meaning for the term "successful entrepreneur". Interesting that he continued to get investors despite his poor track record.

      Delete
  4. I think as we get older we understand how much work goes into something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: We do. A phenomenal amount of work over a very long period.

      Delete
  5. I don't think any skill comes without a lot of work. A master craftsman, in any trade, put in years of work and learning. A doctor, lawyer, indian chief, put in years of study and some rigorous tests to achieve the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: Indeed. That's why it's such a tragedy when someone with years of training and experience behind them - especially a doctor - gets killed.

      Delete
    2. One of my brothers-in-law was a doctor until the cost of malpractice insurance in the USA got too high. He then became a special ed teacher. A good man.
      Linda

      Delete
    3. Linda: I'd heard before that malpractice insurance was going through the roof.

      Delete
  6. Oh, spot on, Nick! I'm far more appreciative of the time and effort people have put in to being at the top of their game. When I was younger I thought it was some kind of magic! I'm glad I know better now.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: I guess I thought much the same, it was some sort of magic gift.

      Delete
  7. I think you need faith and also passion for what you want to achieve. To not always be succesful is part of it and hopefully one day artists or any other person can win the challenge . Hard work in sight.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah: Yes, I guess faith and passion are a necessary part of achievement. And as you say overcoming the failures along the way.

      Delete
  8. T live a passionate life and work hard to make that happen is to be admired. Though the "winning" concept I struggle with understanding.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: I don't understand the concept of winning either. One should want to achieve simply for personal satisfaction rather than winning.

      Delete
  9. I think they say it trakes 40 000 hours to become a master of something. It's a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I suppose it depends on the particular skill you're referring to, but some of them must take a colossal amount of learning and practice and experience.

      Delete