So Jenny and I were in Liverpool for a few days, partly because
we like Liverpool – the architecture, the river Mersey, the dockside – and partly
to catch up with two old friends from Chester.
Of course there were one or two glitches and annoyances
along the way, but travelling is never trouble-free.
We discovered that our hotel didn’t have air conditioning because
that might have spoilt what was a grand old listed building. Luckily it wasn’t
too hot and we had a good fan and also windows that opened.
Several museums and galleries were closed simultaneously for
updating, which must have disappointed an awful lot of tourists. Why did they
all have to be closed at once?
It was Beatles overkill, much more than on our previous
visit. Everywhere we went there were references to the Beatles and
Beatles-related merchandise – even Fab Four cafes. Are there not other famous
people who’re associated with Liverpool?
I was bothered by a bit of back ache, which meant I couldn’t
stand or walk around for too long, but that didn’t stop me enjoying things. I’m
happy to say Liverpool hasn’t lost its appeal.
Monday, 10 August 2026
Liverpool
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Back pain aside, I'm glad it was a nice visit.
ReplyDeleteMary: Thanks.
Deleteyes, sounds like overkill. Then again, when I spent a few days in Woking, the home town of H.G. Wells, I wished there was even more War of the Worlds stuff than there was. I remember the locals thought they had a boring town, and they wondered why the heck I was hanging around.
ReplyDeleteSean: I didn't even know Woking was the home town of H G Wells. I see it's also the home town of Paul Weller.
DeleteIt would be difficult to find anyone more famous than the Beatles back in the day! Overall, it sounds like a good vacation.
ReplyDeleteSandra: Liverpool is really milking the Beatles for all they're worth. But a mention of other Liverpool-born celebs like Kim Cattrall would be good.
DeleteIt does seem that when anyone famous comes from a certain area then that place is overdone with items. Too bad about the museums being closed, the non AC in the hotel, and back ache, but overall it sounds like you both enjoyed the visit.
ReplyDeleteBeatrice: Yes, we greatly enjoyed our visit to Liverpool. The odd glitches weren't enough to spoil the trip.
DeleteCould've been worse, it could've been a homage to Cilla Black.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, I'm glad you had a good time despite the closures and pain. I hope your back is feeling better now?
Sx
Ms Scarlet: My back is still painful but I'm having a lorry load of blood tests to try and identify the cause.
DeleteMs Scarlet: I tried to leave a comment on your blog but Wordpress wouldn't let me. It asked me to reset my password and other odd things.
ReplyDeleteThat is odd - and annoying. I've had a mare with all things blog this week!
DeleteJon got through okay - maybe try again later?
Sx
Ms Scarlet: Still no luck. It comes up with "You previously logged in to Jetpack with Facebook.Would you like to continue?" I have no idea who or what Jetpack may be.
ReplyDeleteOh Jetpack is just part of WordPress - try logging into Jetpack via Facebook. Or, clear your history and try again? Have you got a WordPress login? You could go the long way in by just signing in using your email.
DeleteI have no idea what’s going on - I did check in my settings and they were fine. I think I’m cursed this week!
Sx
It's good to have a favourite place to go. It's a holiday but without needing the constant vigilance we need when we visit somewhere entirely new.
ReplyDeleteA battery of tests for back pain sounds serious, Nick. I send my best wishes
Kylie: I agree about having a favourite place. Getting your bearings in somewhere new can be pretty taxing.
DeleteI'm glad you and Jenny were able to revisit a city that you enjoy. It's disappointing when museums and other tourist attractions shut down in the summer during tourist season. Why not wait until winter? I hope you get some relief from your back pain, Nick.
ReplyDeleteBijoux: I know, why close several museums and galleries at once? So many tourists will be disappointed. I don't understand the thinking behind it.
Delete