There are proposals to crack down on people playing loud music and
videos without headphones on UK public transport, as other passengers find it
disturbing and inconsiderate.
I can’t say I’m especially bothered by loud noise on trains
and buses, although I’d rather not have to listen to music I personally
dislike.
In fact most passengers on public transport here in Northern
Ireland are actually quite considerate and do wear headphones or keep the noise
level down.
There are certainly more important things to complain about
than noise mongers. Like buses that come late or not at all. Like buses with no
luggage racks. Like the deterioration of public services generally.
What does annoy me is restaurants that aren’t designed to
dampen conversations, so you have to virtually shout to make yourself heard
against all the prevailing chatter.
Also of course the background musak that assaults you in so
many restaurants, shops and other places. Polls say the majority of customers
would prefer silence but for some reason they’re ignored and the music blares
on regardless.
Wednesday, 26 August 2026
Noise mongers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I don't commute anymore, but other people being inconsiderate in close proximity is generally annoying!
ReplyDeleteSx
Ms Scarlet: Some people act as though they're the only person in the world and can do anything they like.
DeleteAh yes, the false majority.
ReplyDeleteI remember when the student bar was nice for studying, at least when they played the music video station—but sports sounded like loud messy static to me.
I suppose the staff, non students, were into sports.
One day I told the staff they could switch to music. They replied, "But some people are watching football." I glared, "They just left. Both of them."
Sean: When something sporty is going on in the background, that's especially irritating as I have no interest in sport whatever.
DeleteI agree about music in restaurants and other places of business. There's one convenience store next door that blasts the music so loud it can be heard from the parking lot. Too noisy.
ReplyDeleteMary: We sometimes ask for music to be turned down. So it's turned down for about five minutes and then turned up again.
DeleteA dentist told me I could pick the music he played while he worked on my teeth. I chose none of the above.
ReplyDeleteLinda
Linda: I've never had a dentist who plays music, and I hope I never do.
DeleteMost airlines have the headphone rule now, so the same should apply to any public transportation.
ReplyDeleteBijoux: I agree. Why only airlines? However you're travelling, loud music and loud conversation is annoying.
DeleteIt's not only noise from music, but how about all those folks who walk along talking on their phones whether on a street, in an elevator or store?
ReplyDeleteBeatrice: Yes indeed. The number of times I've had to dodge people totally engrossed in their phones.
DeleteI think the way to set up a restaurant so people don't shout is to have quiet background music that is enough to somehow cancel out other people so then people don't shout.
ReplyDeleteOr maybe then they all only raise their voices only enough for the music but not other people. I'm not sure the reason, but I think I've seen the music trick work.
Sean: Yes, quiet background music might be the answer. But restaurants should have installed soft absorbent surfaces throughout.
Delete