Saturday, 22 August 2026

Is it real?

Much controversy over a TV programme on ADHD that suggested it isn’t a bona fide mental disorder but a “social construct” that isn’t real.
 
Neurologists and psychiatrists immediately weighed in to say yes of course it’s real and there’s plenty of evidence to back that up.
 
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is defined as a disorder marked by persistent symptoms of inattention, restlessness, forgetfulness and impulsivity (among other things).
 
By that definition I could almost have ADHD myself. I can certainly claim inattention, restlessness and forgetfulness. I’m very scatterbrained and find it hard to concentrate totally on what I’m reading or listening to. But there are other symptoms that don’t apply at all, so I have a sort of semi-ADHD.
 
But neurologists are puzzled as to why ADHD seems to be on the increase. Given all the possible symptoms (at least a dozen) I guess it could easily be diagnosed when like me someone has a fair number of the symptoms but not by any means all of them. Does it to some extent depend on a subjective assessment rather than clear clinical guidelines?
 
I guess this debate will run and run.

21 comments:

  1. I think there are now more people that have it than don't!! That's fine, I like being in the minority.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: Yes, if so many people have ADHD, you have to wonder about how exactly it's diagnosed.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been saying for over a decade that a lot of these mental health disorders are related (ADHD, Autism, OCD, various forms of schizophrenia) and eventually science will discover the genes that cause the brain to malfunction.’ It’s definitely real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, a lot of mental disorders seem to be related. Another obvious example is gender dysphoria, which has been linked to autism, OCD, depression and anxiety.

      Delete
  3. For today, just my greetings from Slovenia, sadly I'm missing a translator on your side :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modrina: The English translation is a bit rough and ready when it comes to unusual types of prose. Your last post was a bit baffling for that reason!

      Delete
  4. My favourite historical example of possible ADHD is General George Patton. By his own report, he would never spend more than 20 minutes at a time at his desk. I am pleased that he turned out all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean: A good example of restlessness. I find it hard to spend more than 20 minutes reading a book.

      Delete
  5. It may be that rather than more have ADHD that more are being diagnosed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra: There's a general supposition (among others) that more people are being diagnosed with ADHD but it's not clear why that may be.

      Delete
  6. We have an adult friend who appears to have ADHD. He truly cannot sit still for any length of time. He is always in need of new stimulation. It gets challenging when he dispatches a model railroad operating session because he cannot stay in the dispatchers office to receive important communications and he wants to run extra trains then doesn't have crews available for scheduled trains. It's frustrating for everyone attending those sessions.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like his main problem is impulsiveness without regard for the consequences (wanting extra trains but lacking the train crews). It must be very frustrating.

      Delete
    2. Nick, I meant that as there becomes a clearer understanding of ADHD people who would not have been diagnosed even 5 years ago may be now.

      Delete
    3. Sandra: Yes, I understood you. The decreasing social stigma about having a mental disorder could also be a factor.

      Delete
  7. Nick, I believe that many people have a certain amount of attention deficit disorder, but do not have a diagnosis of same. I also tend to get restless and inattentive sometimes without spending a lot of time on a specific topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice: I think the hectic present-day culture encourages us to keep jumping from one thing to another rather than concentrating on one particular thing.

      Delete
  8. At college I took "drama for adults dealing with kids" using a British textbook by Brian Way.
    Our teacher taught us to do a focus exercise at the start of class, to get children ready to learn, saying that if we miss the time window then we might as well just do fun and games all class.
    So now I suspect that an adult's focus ability can be increased by doing performing arts or martial arts, but I don't really know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean: Hard to say what would increase someone's focus and attention. But you must surely develop a sharp focus if you're an actor.

      Delete
  9. That's an interesting argument from both sides. A lot of mental disorders seem to have a lot of the same symptoms in common. I think a lot of them might be linked together somehow. But I don't know enough about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Probably the link is what caused those symptoms in the past, like sexual abuse or a violent parent.

      Delete
  10. There's a bloke i watch on insta, called Jason Field, he has a lot to say about ADHD and autism but it's quite scientific so I often struggle to understand. He has autism himself and I suspect that impacts his delivery.
    Anyhow, I think ADHD is more understood now, more frequently diagnosed and possibly also more common.
    I think it relates to trauma but poor sleep, poor breathing and apnea can create ADHD like symptoms as well

    ReplyDelete