Thursday 31 March 2022

Whodunit?

I envy those people who can remember all the salient plot details of a TV drama, and can tell you instantly that X was suspected of murdering Y in episode three, when I can barely remember who X was and who was murdered.

Either I have a very defective brain or some people just have a brilliant memory for detail while I promptly forget half of what I'm watching.

I have a better memory for the characters than the plot. I don't really care "whodunit". I'm not interested in all the red herrings and false trails and bogus clues. Just name the villain and stop wasting my time!

But I'm very aware of the introverted florist who hates swearing and is devoted to her tabby cat, even if her part in the plot rapidly escapes me. Never mind the identity of the murderer, does the florist become more outgoing? Does she develop a potty mouth? Does her cat live to a ripe old age? That's what I really want to know.

The detectives are usually more interesting than the plot or who did the dirty deed. They've invariably got drastic personal problems of one kind or another. Alcoholism, mental disorders, domestic violence, drug addiction, you name it. My favourite is Saga Norén in The Bridge. Her social clumsiness, lack of empathy and emotional ineptness make her seem cold, insensitive and blunt, but she's honest and direct and a brilliant detective.

Jenny loves speculating as to who's the murderer. She'll come up with wonderfully elaborate theories about the culprit. And she'll remember all those incriminating details very clearly. Sometimes she's spot on, sometimes she's way off track.

Well, I'm pretty sure it was Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the billiard room. Though it might have been Professor Plum. Who knows?

16 comments:

  1. We have no TV and never had one. But we were and are still great cinema fans and I have a quite good memory as well for the plot and for the characters. We just saw a Charlie Chaplin retrospective of his first movies with life orchestra playing. Really great.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah: Actually I find the same thing with films and novels, so it's not just TV. A Charlie Chaplin retrospective sounds like fun!

      Delete
  2. I don’t think I’ve ever watched one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: Really? You've never watched a whodunit? That's most unusual!

      Delete
  3. I don't watch such serials. In fact, I have even stopped reading whodunits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramana: I read somewhere that Jiddu Krishnamurti was fond of crime novels. Also Wittgenstein.

      Delete
  4. I can seldom recall enough details to come to a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: Me too. Just about anyone could be the murderer!

      Delete
  5. I love a good whodunnit, I've seen all the Poirots and Agatha Christies. I'm pretty good at remembering the plots and clues. The Bridge sounds good, I will look it up when I return from holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly: The Bridge is great fun. Saga manages to tread on so many toes without any idea of how clumsy she's being.

      Delete
    2. I like her already :-)

      Delete
  6. Clearly most of my blogmates either don't have a TV or if they do, they don't watch crime drama. In which case they have no problems with the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a hard time remembering what happened in long running shows. I just watched all 15 seasons of Supernatural again and hardly remembered anything about the show so it was like watching it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Yes, I often watch something and promptly forget the whole thing, so as you say I can watch it again and it's all brand-new!

      Delete
  8. I enjoy reading some mysteries but don't put a lot of energy into tracking all the clues, details. I just like following the bigger picture for the intrigue, then enjoy learning the ending. If I easily figure out the ending then the plot isn't very complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared: That's more or less what I do, I think - follow the big picture and wait for the denouement!

      Delete