Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Risk taking

I'm a very risk-averse person. I know men are assumed to be natural risk-takers, but not me. Life is full of risks as it is. Why take unnecessary risks that could end in disaster?
 
I’ve only taken big risks if I could see a pay off. I’ve taken on hefty mortgages so I could own property and stop paying rent I’d never get back again.
 
I moved from London to Belfast because it had a more relaxed lifestyle than congested, over-populated London. Jenny and I took a big gamble quitting our jobs before we moved but we both found good jobs in Belfast.
 
It was a bit of a shot in the dark deciding to move in with Jenny. It could have ended badly but it turned out to be the right decision.
 
But I’d never take risks just for the hell of it. I’ve never tried rock-climbing or bungee jumping or sky-diving. I’ve read about wives who are terrified whenever their spouse takes part in some highly dangerous activity. I wouldn’t want Jenny to be scared stiff.

I think the biggest risk I could take would be a life-or-death operation - one that could either save my life or kill me. I think I'd take my chances and hope for the best.

14 comments:

  1. You certainly don't strike me as a risk taker.
    Talking of life and death operations, I saw a video recently where a man was offered an operation which he was unlikely to survive or he could go home and live with his condition which could kill him at any random moment. He chose the surgery so his wife would never have to find him dead on the floor.
    I wouldn't have thought of it that way but it was an heroic choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie: It was indeed a heroic choice. I think I would make the same decision, for the same reason.

      Delete
  2. Moving to a different city without jobs seems like a big risk to me! I am very risk adverse, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: It was a big risk. We were maybe a bit over-confident about our prospects in Belfast, but it all turned out very well.

      Delete
  3. The risks you have taken with relocation, jobs and relationship have all turned out well, so you choose your risks wisely, Nick. In my opinion, everyday life presents risks of all types and choosing the best alternative is not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice: I did rule out moving in with several women before I finally decided Jenny and I could make it work. Which we did.
      Yes there are quite enough risks in everyday life. Why add to them unnecessarily?

      Delete
  4. I'm neither a risk taker or thrill seeker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Me too. I like the odd thrill, but not if it involves something highly dangerous.

      Delete
  5. As for physical risks, I could never yell happily, rather I would grit my teeth until it was over.

    I do better with emotional risks such as blogging or public speaking.

    As for life in general, I am surely not a risk taker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean: What physical risks are you referring to? Driving a car? Walking under scaffolding?

      Delete
  6. Risk analysis is particularly appropriate for choosing insurance. Every form of insurance is a sucker bet with respect to expectation value, because a company would not offer one if its internal staff of actuaries and data collectors haven't judged it profitable for them. So, if a particular risk would be unpleasant but not catastrophic, it would be even more profitable for you than for the company to offer yourself the policy (as you don't have expenses like administration or fraud). On the other hand, it is sensible to eat the sucker bet for a risk that would be truly catastrophic.
    So what to do? I buy homeowner insurance with a $50,000 deductible, and auto insurance with zero collision or comprehensive, because only losing an entire house or a million dollar judgement would be catastrophic. And I use a fraction of those savings to buy an umbrella policy that extends liability coverage on both policies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick: You've obviously thought through the whole insurance situation very carefully. We have home insurance and car insurance and that's it. The home insurance only has an excess/deductible of a few hundred pounds.

      Delete
  7. Actually, I used to grit my teeth driving a car, partly. because I had too much imagination about other drivers. I have since read that people drive slower when alone than when in traffic where they imagine others are impatient.

    For physical risks, I took an aptitude test once that said I don't risk. I asked, the teacher replied, "It means you don't like being high off the ground, like climbing boulders." "Sounds right," I said. I am not like those who smile to shout "ya-hoo!!" shooting down river rapids, or fast ski hills.

    Because I have done some rock climbing I was asked to help for several weeks teaching the Boy'nGirls club. After the weeks were over I thought, "Who am I kidding? I don't truly like doing this."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean: I imagine impatient drivers are more likely to have accidents than the more relaxed drivers. Yes, the worry when driving is other drivers and how alert or quick-witted they are - or aren't. I don't mind being high off the ground, but not if that means rock climbing.

      Delete