There are people I loathe. There are people I find baffling.
There are people I don’t want anything to do with. But how about people I
admire? For example:
- Greta Thunberg, for constantly stressing the need for urgent action over climate change.
- David Attenborough ditto. And at the age of one hundred!
- J K Rowling, for challenging the idea of sex changes and self-declared sexual identity.
- Surgeons, who perform the most hair-raising procedures every day.
- Nurses, for providing such excellent care for all the thousands of patients they come in contact with.
- Emergency workers in general who often work in very dangerous circumstances.
- Hannah Spencer MP for challenging alcohol-fuelled law-making in the House of Commons.
- Bonnie Raitt, for her always enjoyable music that goes back 55 years.
- Jess Philips MP for campaigning against misogyny and male violence.
- Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head by the Taliban in Pakistan for campaigning for girls’ education.
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who invented the World Wide Web.
There are no doubt many others whose names escape me just now. I’m sure you can suggest a few I’ve forgotten.


I tend to admire those who do so much for others, but do not want to receive public attention.
ReplyDeleteBijoux: Yes, I admire them as well. I know there are lots of church people for example who help others without expecting any attention.
DeleteI guess I’m the same as Bijoux. I greatly admired Dolly Parton for this reason.
ReplyDeleteSandra: Yes, Dolly Parton did a lot for others on the quiet. I especially admire her book gifting programme.
DeleteMary Jo Copeland, a Minnesota woman who actually lived by the teachings of Jesus.
ReplyDeleteLinda
Linda: I'd never heard of Mary Jo Copeland so I googled her. She is certainly an amazing woman. Her work for Sharing and Caring Hands is wonderful.
DeleteGeorge Orwell, to whom dedicated my college graduation project. His mingling safely with tramps has inspired me to feel safe mingling with various groups. His column inspires me to essay-blog.
ReplyDeleteSean: I don't feel safe with groups of young men, but otherwise I'm okay.
DeleteAre comments working again? I hope so. I tried to comment here yesterday but it all went wrong.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, I admire my favourite authors to the point where I'd freeze if I was in the same room as them; and rescue workers - I could never do what they do.
Sx
Ms Scarlet: Hoorah, comments are back. When I tried to comment, I would get the "Publishing" message and then nothing. And yes, I'd probably freeze too if I met some of my favourite authors.
DeleteYou're lucky, Nick, you got your comments back - others haven't.
ReplyDeleteSx
Nurses and emergency workers definitely get my vote.
ReplyDeleteMary: I don't know how they cope so well with the most horrendous events. I would wilt pretty quickly.
DeleteI just saw a nice Youtube clip filmed in Belfast in front of lots of red double decker buses. A nice lady is willing to miss her bus to be interviewed by a nice cameraman. I admire how the lady handles challenges. It brightened my day, here's the URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZA8suv-ZLY
ReplyDeleteSean: I just watched the video. She seemed very bright and cheerful. Interesting that she used to be shy but somehow overcome that to be more outgoing. I noticed that she's actually from Australia but she didn't say if that was her present home.
Delete