Saturday 20 April 2024

Smoking dilemma

As a life-long non-smoker, I'm intrigued by the British government's latest attempts to reduce cigarette-smoking and reduce tobacco-related hospital admissions.

They're hoping to pass a new law that would ban the sale of cigarettes to anyone under 15, with the age limit rising each year.

A similar law proposed in New Zealand was heavily opposed and it has now been scrapped by the incoming New Zealand government.

I must say I'm of two minds whether the proposed English law is a good idea. Yes, I'm all in favour of anything that makes people healthier but would people observe the new law or would they try to find ways around it?

You could get an older friend to buy the cigarettes for you, or you could lie about your age, or there would no doubt be a black market in fags you could resort to.

And how would shopkeepers know if you were over 15 or not? If they asked for ID, they could be insulted or threatened.

On the other hand, the sale of alcohol is subject to a similar ban, which says you can't sell alcohol to anyone under 18. It seems to work quite well and nobody is lobbying for the age limit to be scrapped. And young people are consuming much less alcohol anyway, largely because they're more aware of the long-term health risks.

I think on balance I support the new law, if nothing else because it would emphasise the dangers of smoking.

16 comments:

  1. Prohibit sales to under eighteens, by all means, but this creeping ban would, I think, give rise to yet another opportunity for crooks to organise supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen: Absolutely. I'm sure there would be a huge black market in cigarettes.

      Delete
  2. My favorite anti-smoking campaign was billboards that said, "Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray."
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Nice one, I don't remember that. Luckily I never dated any heavy smokers.

      Delete
  3. Those under 15 can buy cigarettes now? That is surprising to me. I think the age here is 21 though I believe it used to be 16 when I was a teen. It's also 21 for any type of alcohol and no one blinks an eye at getting asked for an ID. I'm still asked for an ID at certain stores, as they must have a rule about scanning everyone's ID who buys alcohol. I'm also asked for an ID if I have alcohol delivered to my residence by UPS and Fed Ex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: What amuses me is my supermarket receipt when I buy alcohol. It says "Cashier confirmed over 18" as if there was any doubt about my age! We don't get asked for ID as we don't have ID cards in the UK (as yet).

      Delete
  4. Peoplpe already get an older person to buy their cigarettes, proof af age is already required to buy cigarettes, there is already a huge black market in cigarettes.
    The proposed legislation can only be a good thing as it makes access more difficult.
    The real problem is that vapes have taken over as the drug of choice, cigarettes will die a natural death as vapes are cheaper and taste good. We need to target vapes hard and fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie: Very true about the existing workarounds. And yes, vapes are a huge problem in the UK as well, with a lot of people saying they're as addictive as cigarettes. We don't have ID cards in the UK, are they required in Oz?

      Delete
    2. Most people use their drivers licence as ID but if you don't have one of those, the licensing authority will issue a Proof of Age card for use as ID.

      Delete
    3. Kylie: We don't have any proof of age card either, and a lot of young people don't have a driving licence. So I'm not sure how people's ages would be checked.

      Delete
  5. In the USA most people use their driver's license. But you can get a state issued ID card from the driver's license bureau if you don't drive. Some places will take a school ID card. Every place will take a military ID card. You can use a passport for ID for some things but not purchases that require a birthdate.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: It looks like proving ID is pretty flexible, with several different ID options.

      Delete
  6. Everyone in the US has to either have a drivers license ID or a state issued ID for a lot of things. Alcohol, cigarettes, going to the doctor, renting anything, you need an ID for all of that. Anything that cuts cigarette smoking down I'm agreeable to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Looks like the US is a lot stricter about proving ID than the UK. Here we can do all sorts of things without recognised ID. We don't need ID for the doctor or even for renting. It's just assumed we are who we say we are!

      Delete
  7. I am surprised that people continue to smoke with all data that confirms how unhealthy it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula: Personal habits can be very entrenched. My father only stopped smoking after he had a stroke aged 55.

      Delete