Thursday 23 February 2023

Curiouser and curiouser

I'm a naturally curious person, and Jenny is even more so, which is one reason we get on so well, I guess.

I'm insatiably curious about all sorts of strange things. Such as:

  • The relentless social media trolling of public figures
  • The damaging effects of second homes on localities
  • Over-tourism likewise
  • The survival tactics of squirrels
  • What cats might be thinking
  • Detransitioners and "gender identity"
  • The re-writing of popular books to prevent offensiveness
  • Why people have cosmetic surgery
  • Advances in medical treatment
  • Witch-hunting cults
  • The shortage of women's toilets
  • The psychological toll of sudden fame
I'm not content to simply "take things as they come". I'm not content with superficial knowledge. I want to know more. I want to know why people behave in a certain way, why crazy ideas become fashionable, why people's lives go off the rails.

My mum was remarkably uncurious. I could spend an hour or two with her and she'd show no curiosity about anything. She would follow the news but never questioned any of it. Although she knew I was left-wing (while she was very right-wing) she never probed me about my opinions, she just ignored them.

But how can people not be curious? The world is so full of bizarre and inexplicable behaviour, how can anyone not want to ask a hundred questions? How can anyone just carry on as if nothing unusual is happening?

People often lose their child-like curiosity as they get older. According to behaviourist Ian Leslie we ask 40,000 questions a year between the ages of two and five - around 110 each day - while adults ask a mere 20. No wonder so many peculiar ideas become mainstream - not enough people query them.

Curiosity killed the cat? What nonsense.

9 comments:

  1. I’m not sure I’d call myself curious. Some things I’m interested in and some things I just don’t care enough about to pursue further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: Not naturally curious then - just about some things but not others.

      Delete
  2. Ms Scarlet: Blimey, I don't think of all those implications. If I'm curious about something, I just ask questions (as long as they aren't too personal or contentious). Thankfully my brain hasn't exploded yet. I thought about doing a psychology course once but for some reason didn't pursue it. I think I wasn't sure how interesting it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By committing yourself to the psychology course you would have been asking a huge question about human nature - but you recoiled, as you thought the answer would be boring and long-winded. I rest my case!!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was introduced to Kipling's six honest serving men when young and keep them busy even now. Though they have increasing difficulty in getting straight answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: I wasn't familiar with Kipling's six honest serving men. Why is probably the most used, as in the end of the poem.

      Delete
  5. Ms Scarlet: I really can't remember why I decided against a psychology course. This was many years ago! Anyway, I've learnt a lot more about psychology since then, from all sorts of sources.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If anyone in my family wants to know about things that I don't know about, they will hear me shout, "Google it!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace Thyme: I've forgotten what it was like to ask questions and have such difficulty trying to find an answer. Google has transformed all our lives.

      Delete