Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Risk taking

I'm a very risk-averse person. I know men are assumed to be natural risk-takers, but not me. Life is full of risks as it is. Why take unnecessary risks that could end in disaster?
 
I’ve only taken big risks if I could see a pay off. I’ve taken on hefty mortgages so I could own property and stop paying rent I’d never get back again.
 
I moved from London to Belfast because it had a more relaxed lifestyle than congested, over-populated London. Jenny and I took a big gamble quitting our jobs before we moved but we both found good jobs in Belfast.
 
It was a bit of a shot in the dark deciding to move in with Jenny. It could have ended badly but it turned out to be the right decision.
 
But I’d never take risks just for the hell of it. I’ve never tried rock-climbing or bungee jumping or sky-diving. I’ve read about wives who are terrified whenever their spouse takes part in some highly dangerous activity. I wouldn’t want Jenny to be scared stiff.

I think the biggest risk I could take would be a life-or-death operation - one that could either save my life or kill me. I think I'd take my chance and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment