We’re fond of saying that life is better now than it was X
decades ago, and aren’t we lucky to be living today? But are we?
I’ve always rejected nostalgia on the basis that it
idealises the past and overlooks all the things we disliked.
But when I look back at the sixties and seventies, when I
was growing up, actually a lot of things were better than they are now.
Everything was a lot simpler. Instead of having to navigate
complicated and frustrating websites, you could ring someone up and they’d help you out. Rents were more affordable. There were more jobs available. Salaries
were higher. You didn’t need dozens of passwords and login details. You didn’t
have to worry about scams and cyber attacks.
People say, but what about all the racism and sexism and
homophobia? There’s a lot less of all that than there used to be. Well, yes,
they’ve declined but they’re still very evident. If anything misogyny is on the
increase, with social media full of the most horrendous abuse and hatred.
I doubt if many of today’s young people would say life is
better than it used to be. They’re having to negotiate very tough
circumstances, and their mental health is suffering. Nostalgia is totally understandable.
Wednesday, 23 September 2026
Better or worse?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment