Saturday, 22 August 2026

Is it real?

Much controversy over a TV programme on ADHD that suggested it isn’t a bona fide mental disorder but a “social construct” that isn’t real.
 
Neurologists and psychiatrists immediately weighed in to say yes of course it’s real and there’s plenty of evidence to back that up.
 
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is defined as a disorder marked by persistent symptoms of inattention, restlessness, forgetfulness and impulsivity (among other things).
 
By that definition I could almost have ADHD myself. I can certainly claim inattention, restlessness and forgetfulness. I’m very scatterbrained and find it hard to concentrate totally on what I’m reading or listening to. But there are other symptoms that don’t apply at all, so I have a sort of semi-ADHD.
 
But neurologists are puzzled as to why ADHD seems to be on the increase. Given all the possible symptoms (at least a dozen) I guess it could easily be diagnosed when like me someone has a fair number of the symptoms but not by any means all of them. Does it to some extent depend on a subjective assessment rather than clear clinical guidelines?
 
I guess this debate will run and run.

2 comments:

  1. I think there are now more people that have it than don't!! That's fine, I like being in the minority.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been saying for over a decade that a lot of these mental health disorders are related (ADHD, Autism, OCD, various forms of schizophrenia) and eventually science will discover the genes that cause the brain to malfunction.’ It’s definitely real!

    ReplyDelete