Tuesday 5 December 2023

Politics? No way!

There are many reasons why I always ruled out becoming a politician. It's been suggested a few times that I would be an excellent one, but goodness knows why. The very idea is laughable.

The most compelling reason was the constant clash between what I would want to do, what my constituents would want me to do, and what the party line happened to be.

To have to keep deciding between those three things must be hugely stressful. If for example I thought it was sensible to close a local hospital and transfer all its services to a new and better equipped hospital a couple of miles away, but my constituents wanted the local hospital to stay open, and the party line was something different again, what would I go with?

Then there's the mounting hostility towards politicians generally, for being out of touch with their constituents, pursuing expensive vanity projects and lining their own pockets. Female politicians especially are subject to a never-ending torrent of abuse, personal attacks and death threats. Many politicians have been forced to install elaborate security systems simply for their own safety.

And despite threadbare knowledge of the subjects I would be legislating on or making decisions about, I would have to add my shaky opinions to what might already be some totally misguided measures, with who knows what unforeseen consequences. What do I know about interest rates or planning applications or carbon emissions? No more than the average person-in-the-street.

No, I just couldn't have done it. I wouldn't have lasted six months.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous Fly...I was elected to a Rural District Council - when such things existed - on the Labour ticket to be in a minority of councillors who had been elected as Independent candidates, which turned out to mean Tory. I enjoyed the work, the whole thing was run on a shoestring and there was a lot of goodwill and co operation. Seeing what local government has become, I would not touch it with a bargepole now. I was on a shortlist as a Labour candidate in a safe Labour seat, but fell foul of the usual guff in those times...women might get pregnant after all and need to concentrate on the kids...
    I would have enjoyed the work as an M.P., helping constituents, doing committee work, but doubt I could have stuck rigidly to a party line. And certainly not under Blair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: Not the old "women might get pregnant" line! You might as well say "men will be too busy having affairs". Yes, it must be very difficult supporting the party line if it's something you totally disagree with.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed my time in politics but there is a lot of skill involved in handling the challenges of everyone but keeping a firm grip on the tiller and taking no guff is essential. I fought (and won) for the important changes and felt enormously gratified in this community service.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: Getting the important changes you wanted must have been very satisfying.

      Delete
  3. I think some politicians start out with good intentions, but the constant battles to get anything accomplished would discourage even the most positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: So often as you say politicians start out with good intentions but eventually fall by the wayside.

      Delete
  4. Anyone who has ever served on any committee has had a taste of what politics are like. No, thank you. I was glad to do my part on those committees but that was enough. They have lots of committees where I live so I am glad other people are still willing to serve.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: I've worked a lot with committees and their rambling deliberations were very frustrating. Like you, I'm glad other people are prepared to serve on them!

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't want to be in he public eye and scrutinized about every little part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: My thoughts entirely. I value my anonymity and being able to fade into the background.

      Delete