Saturday 28 August 2021

Imperfect bodies

Apparently a majority of men (53%) have negative feelings about their body image, which isn't far off the figure for women (62%). They don't like being fat, or bald, or paunchy, or not tall enough, or too hairy, or not very muscular. Or a dozen other things.

I'm always baffled by this, as I have no problems with my own body image. In fact it almost feels there's something wrong with me for finding my body so acceptable. Am I just not critical enough? Is my nose a funny shape? Are my eyes too close together? Surely there's something I absolutely loathe? Nope, I just can't work up any negativity about my physical self.

Yes, I'm an oldie and I look it, but that doesn't bother me. Yes, I've got a bit of a tummy bulge, but so what? Yes, I've got a small bald patch, but it's only other people who can see it. Yes, I've got some crooked teeth, but to my mind they look more natural than rows of perfectly straight, shining white choppers. I'm not going to spend hours of my time regretting what I look like.

I'm certainly not going to shovel cash into the bank accounts of the purveyors of botox, cosmetic surgery, hair restorer, tummy control shapewear and all the other products exploiting people's self-loathing. I'd rather spend my money on exotic holidays, brilliant novels and wonderful paintings than on desperate attempts to turn the physical clock back.

Because that's mainly what this negativity is all about, isn't it? The desire to recapture one's youth and reverse the ageing process. Well, I hate to disillusion anyone but ageing will have its way, whatever your efforts to halt it.

There are only two things certain in life - death and taxes.

22 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind having my jowls pulled up around my ear a little - pity they can't do it with a staple gun - quick and simple...and cheap. This is my issue - the whole process would take too long for my liking, and it would cost too much. And I only want a slight pull up, nothing radical.
    Anyhow, I'll stick to buying shoes instead, because I mostly look at my feet.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: A staple gun would be ideal. There's probably a youtube video somewhere showing you how to use it.

      Delete
  2. I actually think Botox looks awful. It distorts the face and makes people look like cats. Not sure if that’s the look they are going for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: I can't really tell if someone's had botox. But I do notice that some people's faces are virtually frozen.

      Delete
  3. I am comfortable with the way I look and feel. I have no hangups and there is no one around to criticise me for the way I look, feel or act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramana: That's good to know. You always seem to be very at ease with yourself, as they say.

      Delete
  4. As a young plain jane I saw no point in trying to comply with the accepted image as promoted in advertising and now as an old plain jabe I see nothing to change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: I guess I'm pretty plain myself, a far cry from those glamorous males who have women (and men) swooning.

      Delete
  5. The summer I broke my nose, a doctor offered to “improve” it for me. I said my current nose fit my face just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Well said. What was his idea of an "improvement", I wonder?

      Delete
  6. Ageism is a multi-billion dollar industry. If that's the main point of your post. Not sure.
    Body image is another story which is more lifelong. I've seen horrific damage done by friends in their efforts to become more acceptable.
    Others go the plastic surgery route as soon as they age and can afford it. I find it difficult to see the person I knew underneath their expressionless faces.

    It took me a long time to accept myself and value myself.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: I guess I'm saying that both body image and ageism are big business. And yes, cosmetic surgery can make people not only almost unrecognisable but totally bland-looking.

      Delete
  7. Andy and I have more fun things to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean: You do. I can't see you fretting over your appearance for one second.

      Delete
  8. I'm not into cosmetic surgery et al. But But But, I have tendency to be vain. It helps to be attractive whether male or female. But satisfaction with your looks is an entirely different matter.

    I'm satisfied with having a sturdy body. I resemble Patricia Routledge. I was built to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann: Unfortunately yes, it helps to be attractive, especially in the job market.

      I wasn't built to work - tall, thin, feeble muscles. I wouldn't last a week doing anything physically arduous.

      Delete
  9. Good for you. It's sad that a lot of people don't feel that way. I'm perfectly happy with myself. Probably because I don't care what anyone else thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Indeed, not caring what others think. If anyone dislikes my appearance, that's their problem, not mine.

      Delete
  10. I've always been a strong supporter of natural ageing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared: Me too. Of course as a man that's much easier than it is for women, constantly exhorted to stay young and beautiful.

      Delete
  11. In general, I don't think cosmetic surgeries and other invasive procedures to chase youth or beauty makes sense. And the cosmetics industry is a racket. But... there are times when people are born with deformities (like cleft palates) or incur them through no fault of their own (say, facial damage in an auto accident, or my own breast cancer), where I am grateful we have advanced plastic surgery to a point where people can achieve some sense of normalcy about their appearance.

    ReplyDelete