I’ve never been a compulsive shopper. I don’t understand
people who are forever window-shopping and looking for something to buy.
My attitude to clothing (probably a typical male attitude)
is to wait till something is falling apart, then go to the shops and buy a
replacement. Easy peasy.
I don’t buy things because I like the look of them (except
for clothes), I don’t buy things because they’ve been recommended by someone or
because they might come in handy. In general I’m strictly guided by need and
need alone.
I do buy a lot of books, but that’s also prompted by need –
the need for pleasure. Or maybe the need for mental exercise.
Jenny finds this strict approach to shopping rather odd, but
on the other hand she envies how quickly my shopping is done. She can
deliberate for weeks on a possible purchase before finally buying it.
I know that for some people impulsive shopping can provide a
powerful rush of excitement or euphoria when they’re feeling a bit depressed,
though that usually doesn’t last very long.
My mum was a compulsive shopper and, as regular readers will
know, when she died her flat was piled high with a mountain of random
purchases, many of which she had never actually worn or used. She couldn’t
resist anything that seemed like a bargain.
Thursday, 8 October 2026
Forever buying
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment