It’s a good job we can’t read each other’s minds. The
consequences of such total openness would be pretty mortifying.
Just imagine if other people knew who I despised or what
crime I was about to commit or who I had a massive crush on or how often I was
drunk-driving. All those things I was carefully hiding were suddenly on full display,
out there for the world to see.
And vice versa of course, I could read other people’s minds
and know all the dodgy things they were up to. I would know my next-door
neighbour was defrauding the company he worked for or had just done a
hit-and-run.
It would make life better in some ways. If someone was planning
a crime, we’d know about it and they could be stopped. Our loved ones would know
how much love and affection we had for them. People would know all the things I
had in common with them and we could make new friends.
People couldn’t lie so easily as we would know straightaway
they weren’t telling the truth, and there would be a sudden outbreak of honesty.
That’s something that would take a lot of getting used to.
Wednesday, 22 July 2026
Just suppose....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment