Sunday 9 October 2022

Doodle house

Would you be happy to live in a house that's covered with doodles from top to bottom? With not a single square inch left uncovered - doodles on absolutely everything from walls and ceilings to beds and kitchen utensils.

Twenty eight year old Kent artist Sam Cox became so fascinated with doodles that he decided to cover his entire house with them. Luckily his wife Alena seems to be as keen on the doodles as he is.

He says the couple who sold him the house begged him not to doodle on the walls but he ignored them. "They told me, whatever you do, please don't doodle. I didn't listen."

There's no way I could live in a house festooned with doodles. They would just be too overwhelming, too disturbing. And surely with doodles everywhere you look, you'd be dreaming of the wretched things?

The artist claims he hasn't had any complaints from his neighbours yet - so he has no plans to tone down the property's appearance or move house any time soon.

If he ever wanted to sell the house, I imagine not many people would like the idea of living with wall-to-wall doodles rather than more conventional decor. I doubt if suburban Kent is ready for such avant-garde eccentricity.

What do you think? Could you live with thousands of doodles or would you run a mile?

PS: Lots more pictures in the link above

16 comments:

  1. On the positive side, those doodles will cover up a multitude of sins (spots and stains).

    Anyway, are they actually doodles or just a collection of inane smiley faces? Maybe there is method in the "artist's" madness: A ploy to keep potential houseguests away.

    In answer to your question, no I couldn't live with those doodles. They'd be doing my head in. Neither would I "run a mile". I'd get my paintbrush out and restore peace.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ursula: It would take some time to redecorate the house! I do wonder if Alena really likes all the doodles or whether she's just humouring her husband. Or enjoying all the attention.

      Delete
  2. Ramana Rajgopaul9 October 2022 at 12:59

    I would not go anywhere near one. I am likely to get strained eyes if I inadvertently get into one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramana: I think my eyes would also go a bit funny if I lived there.

      Delete
  3. I had to concentrate on reading your blog because the picture made me soooooooooooo dizzy. I wouldn't be able to spend 5 minutes in a house like that and feel very sorry for his neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy: Wow, sorry about that - that's a pretty strong reaction!

      Delete
  4. I couldn't live there. There's enough overload in my brain without this visual overload as well. I suspect, even if I was only 28 years old, this would be way too much for me.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Me too. I think it would blow every fuse in my brain!

      Delete
  5. That would give me a headache. I don’t even like patterned clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bijoux: My eyes go a bit funny when I'm ironing patterned shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, I don't like the way it looks. I couldn't live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: I think the first function of a house is to be cosy, and this isn't by any stretch of the imagination cosy.

      Delete
  8. I would be far too agitated by this busy business to live there. So no. Zen it ain't.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: Exactly, it would be very agitating. And distracting. Your eyes would be constantly drawn to one doodle or another.

      Delete
  9. Oh no, I could not go anywhere near that house, it would drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Polly: If I could stay there for 24 hours without going off my rocker, it would be a miracle.

    ReplyDelete