Saturday 6 July 2024

Give me fame

I always say that I wouldn't like to be famous, that I would hate the constant attention, I would hate being judged and found wanting, I would hate the lack of privacy - among other things.

So I was intrigued that actor Kevin Bacon tried going out in disguise - fake teeth, a fake nose and a pair of glasses - and rapidly discovered that he hated anonymity and much preferred being famous.

For a while he enjoyed the new freedom, but it didn't last long. "People were kind of pushing past me, not being nice. Nobody said, I love you. I had to wait in line to buy a fucking coffee or whatever. I was like, this sucks. I want to go back to being famous."

Presumably he loves all the attention and the resulting benefits. He's been famous for over 40 years so I guess suddenly being ordinary was quite a shock to the system.

I think the thing I would really hate about being famous is my shortcomings being so familiar to so many people. It's okay if my small circle of friends and relatives know my failings, but if potentially millions of people are aware of them, and constantly harping on them, that would be hard to cope with.

I would also hate all the fictitious tales being spun about me, all the derogatory and critical stories that were totally untrue but still went on circulating indefinitely. Reports that my marriage was in trouble or I'd had cosmetic surgery or I was a useless parent. Even if you deny these stories, they have a life of their own and usually just get repeated over and over.

Kevin Bacon is welcome to his fame. But I'm sure I would find it an awful burden.

16 comments:

  1. Maybe we should treat everybody as though they are famous, but without the gossip, then we would all be lovely to each other?!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: There are too many people acting famous already, demanding fulsome attention from everyone around them.

      Delete
  2. I would despise the lack of privacy. All the blather about appearance, relationships, all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra: That's it, lack of privacy goes hand in hand with gratuitous comments about appearance, one's personal life etc.

      Delete
  3. Who is Kevin Bacon?
    As to fame and fortune, I've had enough criticism and nosy parkerism as it is without either ,so might as well be paid and have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: No, I'd never heard of him either but he's starred in loads of films. And yes, being paid huge sums for the indignity of being constantly criticised might make it worthwhile.

      Delete
  4. It was a strange story about him, considering all the other ‘down to earth’ stories we’ve heard about him and his wife over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: I'd never heard of him. It looks like most of his films are American and he's not well-known in the UK.

      Delete
  5. I know a few "famous" people, or semi-famous. I don't view them as different to ordinary in any way, they have the same fears and anxieties we all do. The only struggle they have is being recognized in restaurants or theatres, etc. It's the price they pay and people are incredibly rude and intrusive to them, snapping photos, etc.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: Yes, I'm sure they have similar fears and anxieties. But I would find constantly being recognised and talked about incredibly disturbing.

      Delete
  6. It's enough to be known honestly among friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: Agreed. To be known honestly is a rare thing.

      Delete
  7. The only part of fame that I would like is the money. Because of the freedom that comes with it. I imagine it is tough for someone to go from all of that to nothing special at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula: True enough, a lot of money can give you a certain freedom to bypass all those everyday frustrations the rest of us have to put up with.

      Delete
  8. Once you get used to the attention fame brings, it would be hard to go back to not being famous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: It would. You must get so used to being waited on hand and foot and always treated as someone special.

      Delete