Monday 12 February 2024

A work in progress

It's become a cliché that people are getting angrier and less patient, blowing their top at the smallest thing that annoys them.

What I also notice is that people are getting more self-righteous, convinced that their opinions are utterly valid and that other people's opinions are not worth even listening to.

Like all those Americans who still believe the last presidential election was fraudulent and that Trump did in fact win. No matter how many times their belief is discredited, they repeat the claim of fraud.

Like the belief that vaccinations are highly dangerous and should be avoided. The overall health benefits of vaccines are steadfastly denied.

Like the belief that you can change sex and a man can become a woman, even though this is a biological and medical impossibility.

Not to mention all the trolls firing off their trumped-up accusations and condemnations of public figures, many of them libellous.

Of course we all have a streak of self-righteousness (myself included) and we all have firmly held beliefs that defy any amount of contrary evidence. But I do regard all my opinions as a work in progress, as temporary opinions until such time as they're proved to be mistaken.

The longer I live though, the more I realise that everyday reality is so complicated that any opinion I hold is quite likely to be incorrect and based on a very partial understanding of the facts.

I'm not so insecure that I find any refuting of my opinions so threatening and alarming that I have to maintain and uphold them at any cost. In fact I like to be challenged about my fondly held but maybe totally irrational opinions. A good thing too, as Jenny takes my opinions to pieces on a regular basis!

19 comments:

  1. Nowadays many opinions are asserted, not as honest best interpretation of what the evidence says reality is, but as badges of membership in a tribe. In certain social environments in the US, if you don't declare that covid vaccines are poison and that Trump really won in 2020, you're risking social ostracism. Other particular "creeds" are mandatory in other groups. In this context, what the evidence shows is true doesn't really matter, and an openness to reconsidering your views in the light of new evidence can be considered almost subversive, marking you as a potential traitor to the group.

    This is especially malignant because it means people who think for themselves are at constant risk of being isolated and attacked. For most ideological groups, agreeing with some of their views but disagreeing with others is not good enough -- you need to check off every tenet of the creed and uphold them all, or you're suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infidel: Exactly, people are pledging themselves to membership of a political tribe, and they'll ostracise anyone from a different tribe. As you say, anyone who questions the tribal ideology is seen as a subversive nuisance and an enemy.

      Delete
  2. It seems impossible to have a discussion now...I first realised that when Brexit blew up...the level of hatred shown to people - like me - who thought leaving the E.U. was best for Britain was, up until then, inconceivable. And since then it is trans issues, vaccines, racism and anything to do with Israel. Not to speak of Trump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen: Indeed, open-minded discussion is becoming impossible because of people's entrenched positions. I'm firmly gender critical but I daren't confess that to the militant trans activists who actually say "there is no debate".

      Delete
  3. To me, transgender is superficial since it can't truly happen. I feel for those people who think they need it, though.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Indeed, it can't truly happen. But it's extraordinary how many people somehow believe it can.

      Delete
  4. No one has patience anymore and you can't even have a civil conversation if you don't agree with the other person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Friendly discussions have morphed into "culture wars" in which one side has to triumph over the other, by fair means or foul.

      Delete
  5. Joanne says "If I don't agree with a person who isn't up for a conversation, I shut up, since no conversation will be had."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: Quite so. There's no point in arguing with someone whose mind is already made up and who's not going to change it.

      Delete
  6. Nick, I do not know in which cercle the persons who commet here are moving, but I really have no problem to discuss , even if we have all different opinions. You know my statements concerning transgender and I know your firm position against so does it stop us to discuss ? The only stop I put is about right wing extremists, racism and all this never ending discussions about refugees. Never forget we are all guests on this earth and only for a limited time.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah: Indeed, we have different viewpoints on the transgender issue, but we agree to disagree which is as it should be. My viewpoint stems from my personal experience, but that's not something I'm prepared to air on a public blog post.

      Delete
  7. As Infidel stated, there is definitely a ‘tribe’ mentality happening. God forbid a person should have a liberal opinion on one subject matter and a conservative opinion on another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: Exactly. You should be unashamedly right-wing or unashamedly left-wing, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

      Delete
  8. You haven't even touched on the Israel - Hamas issues and the screams of anti-Semite when one mentions the wee babies in white little body bags. And now the erasure of black history in the US as they are told they were fortunate to get "training" when enslaved.
    I am hitting maximum despair levels, Nick. It's all far too much for my brain.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone recently told me that an opinion the difference between an educated person and an uneducated.
    I think the expression is a little clunky but the sentiment is completely true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie: Sorry, I don't understand that. Surely both educated and uneducated people have opinions?

      Delete
  10. We are living in a time when sensible educated people are being silenced so as not to offend stupid ignorant people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly: Exactly. Common sense seems to be in short supply at the moment.

      Delete