Monday 27 November 2023

Allergic to Christmas

Most of us find preparing for Christmas pretty straightforward. But spare a thought for people who're allergic to Christmas - or rather allergic to the common ingredients of Christmas food.

Anne Murray, from Lanark, Scotland, is allergic to things like citrus and cinnamon. As she has severe asthma any exposure to these ingredients could kill her without immediate medical treatment.

She almost died in November 2016 when she smelt "pine cones impregnated with citrus" in a garden centre. Fighting to breathe, she grabbed her inhaler and ran out of the garden centre. Two days later she was still struggling to breathe and needed hospital treatment.

"I can't be anywhere near things that smell of Christmas, or eat anything Christmassy like mince pies or stollen cake" she says. "Just smelling a mince pie could kill me."

I assume I can eat whatever I like without falling violently ill. At Christmas especially I want to tuck into anything that's going without having to steer clear. It's tragic that some people can't be so free-and-easy.

Allergies generally seem to be increasing, both in childhood and in adulthood. Many adults are developing allergies they never had in childhood and despite a lot of research the cause is still unknown. There's a wide range of allergens, including soya beans, sesame, and tree nuts like almonds, walnuts and pecans.

Buying any food products must always be risky. You have to assume food labels are 100 per cent accurate about what is or isn't in the product and there are no inadvertent mistakes. Two women died after eating mislabelled food from Pret a Manger, which led to tighter food labelling laws.

It's easy for those of us without allergies* to take for granted our less complicated lives.

*I tell a lie. I have a slight allergy to wheat. If I eat anything containing wheat my nose starts running.

14 comments:

  1. Allergies are alarming and I have a nephew who is allergic to far too much and it's so sad to see the mental affect on him. He's been rushed to hospital far too many times for a little guy who can't even have icecream, no spontaneous eating while his friends chomp on everything around him. I have never seen articles on the mental effect this has on children.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www: Sad to hear about your nephew's allergies. You're right, there's not much coverage of the mental repercussions of being allergic. They must be considerable.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous Fly......I cannot remember anyone with allergies when I was a child, but processed food was then in its infancy and complicated chemical agricultural products likewise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: That's true, I can't recall any other child with allergies either. The number of children with cancer is also rising steadily.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes wonder if all the modern pesticides are the culprit for the uptick in allergies, especially the adult onset ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: Very possibly. My sister wonders if pesticides somehow caused her MND, as she lived near a farm that did regular pesticide spraying.

      Delete
  4. I am allergic to poinsettias. They are everywhere this time of year. Even doctor's waiting rooms have them. Fortunately, they only give me symptoms of having a bad head cold but are not life threatening. I also had the same response, as did several other family members, to a live evergreen tree the year we all slept on the floor in the same room as the Christmas tree.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: That's two new allergens I hadn't heard of. Glad to know there's nothing life-threatening.

      Delete
  5. I believe the latest science has decided that not being exposed to common allergens before age one has created the current preponderance of allergies.

    But who really knows for sure? The only thing I'm 'allergic' to is sodium lauryl sulfate, which is a chemical compound commonly found in toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: Interesting possibility. I think the same is said of germs and low exposure to them in modern households.
      I hadn't heard of that toothpaste allergen either.

      Delete
  6. I blame all of what did not exist when I was a child for the rise in allergic reactions. Pesticides, fertilizers, bug sprays. I also think the over sanitization of lives is harmful. Bacterial soap, sprays, cleaning products. Bah humbug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: I suspect you're right about all the weird chemicals we're now exposed to compared to our childhoods. We had to resort to a bug spray recently though!

      Delete
  7. A friend had twins she kept mostly isolated because when one got sick so did the other. But, that meant they never built up immunities to keep them healthy later in life. Oops.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: As you say, they probably failed to develop the necessary immunities.

      Delete