Friday 3 February 2023

Doggie handling

People are regularly bitten by dogs, and this often sets off a lifelong fear of dog bites. Luckily I've never been bitten by a dog so I'm not afraid of them. Partly that's because I have some idea of what causes a dog to bite.

In January a dog walker was mauled to death in Surrey. It's not clear why they got out of control, but she was walking eight dogs and I guess if one of them got a bit agitated the others might have got equally agitated and turned on her.

The number of injuries from dog bites is rising. Between 1998 and 2018, hospital admissions for dog-related injuries doubled in England, with about 8,000 people now admitted each year.

I'm not afraid of being bitten because I know that bites are usually a response to fear and so I take care not to approach a dog that looks a bit nervous or alarmed and I certainly wouldn't try to stroke or fondle it. I was reading today that a wagging tale doesn't necessarily mean a dog is happy to be approached, it only signifies some strong emotion - it could be enjoyment but it could equally be anxiety or fear.

I often stroke dogs that are tied outside a shop because they're usually glad of the attention they're not getting from the owner. I always feel sorry for them because they look a bit bewildered, wondering if and when their owner is going to reclaim them.

We had two Scottish terriers when I was a child, and they never bit anyone, even though the first one was neurotic enough to abruptly sink its teeth into someone. Jenny and I have never had a pet dog or cat because it would demand too much attention - not to mention visits to the vet and holiday arrangements.

Dogs, like humans, need careful handling.

14 comments:

  1. Both my brother and best friend were bitten by a German Shepherd when we were kids. I witnessed both events and I’ve been fearful ever since. The dog was always loose and chasing us while we rode bikes. My nephew was bit a few years ago while jogging and I have a niece who was bitten on her face as a child and needed plastic surgery. None of these instances was the dog provoked by the person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: Interesting that none of the dogs was provoked in any way. Any idea why they got vicious?

      Delete
    2. German Shepherds are known for their aggression. I don’t know why my nephew was bitten; he was merely jogging on a sidewalk in his neighborhood and was attacked from behind. It’s not that uncommon and is the reason there are leash laws here.

      Delete
    3. Bijoux: Maybe the dog had had some trouble with joggers and had taken to attacking them? Dogs here are normally on a lead, but they're let off the lead in parks and open spaces.

      Delete
  2. I was bitten on my face when I was 4, at a wedding, by a white poodle. I was rushed to hospital to have my lip stitched back together. The following week I ran up to a German Shepherd and threw my arms around it! Some of us never learn!
    Pet dogs are a bit demanding, but they keep you fit. I agree, you have to be very careful with dogs and walking 8 is not sensible - they freak out if their leads get tangled.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet: Yes, I gather dogs can get agitated if they feel "crowded", which must surely be the case with eight dogs.

      Delete
  3. I note with our bunch of dogs that something out of the ordinary can upset a couple of the more nervous ones and the agitation spreads to the others. Walking eight dogs was just daft. My father gave me a pup when I was four and told me that if the dog bit me it would be my fault for not respecting it. He also told me to let strange dogs approach me, not to go up to them until they were ready for contact. So far, never been bitten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly: There's obviously a risk with so many dogs that one getting jittery will unsettle all the others.

      Delete
  4. You hear such dog mauling stories all the time. Sad indeed. Warm greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogoratti: Children must be especially at risk as they often have the urge to stroke a dog, not realising the possible danger.

      Delete
  5. My sole dg bite was a chihuahua that bit me as a child and riding my bicycle. He chased me, overtook me, lept and sank his teeth. Not a good situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: So if he chased you he obviously wasn't afraid of you. I wonder what motivated him?

      Delete
  6. I'm not afraid of dogs but I've had to press the button on my tazer a few times when big offleash dogs came running at my little dog. I didn't know if they were going to attack and my dog is not friendly to big dogs so it was good that the sound alone from the tazer was enough to scare them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Good that the sound of the tazer alone was enough to scare off the other dogs. Little Falcor is well protected!

      Delete