Wednesday 9 March 2022

Mealy mouthed

Apparently the English are renowned abroad for not saying what they really mean and coming up with something that hides their true feelings. I love those charts that explain what foreigners think we mean as opposed to what we actually mean. For example:

  • "I was disappointed" (I was absolutely furious)
  • "I hear what you say" (I totally disagree)
  • "With the greatest respect (You're an idiot)
  • "That's an interesting proposal" (It can't possibly work)
  • "I'll bear it in mind" (But do nothing about it)
  • "You must come to dinner sometime" (It would be a nightmare)
  • "It's fine" (It can't possibly get any worse)
  • "There's a slight problem" (This is a disaster)
  • "It really doesn't matter" (That was incredibly offensive)
  • "It's not ideal" (It's totally inappropriate)
Well, you get the idea. I gather Americans are more direct, and more likely to say exactly what they think, whatever the reaction might be. They don't understand all this English subterfuge.

I must admit to falling into this trap myself. I'm not brave enough to say to someone "That was a really boring evening and I'm not going to repeat it." I'm more likely to say "That was fun. We must do that again sometime", meaning the exact opposite.

The English custom is to be elaborately polite even in the most dire circumstances, and never to say anything blatantly rude. One must avoid confrontation at all costs and keep the atmosphere calm and comfortable.

I admit to finding any sort of confrontation quite agonising, and I go to extreme lengths to avoid it. I wouldn't have been much good as a police officer or a politician or a debt collector.

But maybe the English have the right idea. Maybe skirting round a delicate issue is better than picking a fight.

23 comments:

  1. Retired teachers are the nicest people. We had all the possible politically correct answers to parents.
    I now have moved onto being truthful. Not insulting (all that is a possibility).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: My mum was a retired teacher but she could be very blunt at times. She wasn't at all politically correct!

      Delete
  2. I am a very direct person (to a fault, according to my husband . . . ha!) It’s more of a regional or even nationality thing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux: Yes, I discovered early on that you were very direct. Which I like, because you're direct and thought-provoking without being offensive.

      Delete
  3. I keep very good verbal boundaries. I tell it like it is . My husband is even worse. I've learned the hard way in my younger days, you have to be direct - say what you mean, and mean what you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby: That's a good principle. I wish I was less timid and a bit better at being direct.

      Delete
  4. Yes, we are like that. I was thinking about that earlier today and it came to me we didn't have to be so nice because there's so much more room to be lost in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne: Interesting thought. If you upset people in New York you can just move to San Francisco!

      Delete
  5. I have always thought of the English as very polite and very calm in the crisis. shades of Mrs Miniver and all that. I even love the "keep calm and carry on." I'm afraid I'm a hopeless movie lover of life. I see it as what I 'want' it to be... not really what it Is.
    I have Never liked pushy or loud or agressive types... no matter their nationality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy: We may look calm in a crisis but underneath we're probably terrified. I know a lot of people who're petrified by what's happening in Ukraine. And yes, I also recoil from the pushy loud or aggressive types.

      Delete
  6. He He He, I live in the American South and this is what other parts of the country think of us. But I dare say we are Americans too and too direct.

    There is a fine line between discretion and not unnecessarily ruffling feathers and being honest with people for their own good. The English have it right. But I bet you are quite good at reading between the lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann: Absolutely, we know exactly what people really mean when they use those misleading turns of phrase! Sometimes some simple honesty is precisely what's needed.

      Delete
  7. I aim to be truthful yet kind. A nice balancing act. There is something to be said for being discrete and also for being honest, even painfully honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra: Truthful yet kind is a good formula. And painful honesty is sometimes just what the situation requires.

      Delete
  8. You think that you have a problem? I have to use such language with some people who are not familiar with English nuances and are usually comfortable in their mother tongue. They take me literally when face to face. In text messages on whatsapp however, the addition of an upside down smiley does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramana: Sounds like you have a problem! So many foreigners must be puzzled by the way the English can say one thing but mean something quite different.

      Delete
  9. I quite like politeness. It seems so civilized. I'm an American, though, so I have a hard time pulling it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: The only trouble with politeness is that you're forever nervous that whatever you say will somehow turn out to be impolite.

      Delete
  10. There's a company now called Very British Problems that does a great line in hoodies and t-shirts with these sayings on. https://verybritishproblemstshirts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz: I've seen a lot of their Very British Problems. They're hilarious.

      Delete
  11. If I want to be nice and not atart a fight with someone, I won't tell them what I really think. But that's usually reserved for my family. lol

    Otherwise, I'm more direct. Maybe that's why most people leave me alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Yes, you've always struck me as very direct person who doesn't shy away from offending someone if you think frankness is called for.

      Delete
  12. Some will, some won't. My concern is not what others think or say. Myself is ONLY concerned with what is apropriate for Our Family.

    ReplyDelete